The People Asia Magazine is one of the most respected publications in the Philippines.
Since its foundation way back 2004, it has been its yearly routine to honor outstanding personalities whose lives and achievements have contributed to society in a positive way. This is done by giving a “People of the Year” award to those exemplary individuals. As for me, I think this is one way of saying “Sikat ang Pinoy”.
So, for the 2009 People of the Year award, the People Asia Magazine honored 16 outstanding personalities at the Sofitel Philippine Plaza and the awarding ceremony was emceed by Johnny Litton and Korina Sanchez-Roxas. The awards night features performances from Sarah Geronimo, “the Pop star Princess” and the Angelos, (the all-male singing group). It also coincided with the 10th anniversary of the magazine, which was founded by the late STAR founding chairman Max Soliven.
The lists of the 2009 People of the Year awardees includes:
People of the Year — Politics
- Gilbert “Gibo” — 2010 Presidential Candidate under LAKAS Kampi CMD
Intelligent and politically untainted.
- Benigno Simeon “Noynoy” Aquino III — 2010 Presidential Candidate under Liberal Party and the only son of the late icons of democracy former Presidents Corazon “Cory” Aquino and Benigno “Ninoy” Aquino.
People of the Year — Social and Civic Action
- Efren Peñaflorida — an ordinary individual whose extraordinary approach in educating street kids via his “Kariton Classroom” has given hope to thousands of Filipino children by providing them with basic education and diverting their attention from joining street gangs and petty crime groups. He is the 2009 CNN Hero of the Year.
People of the Year — Sports
- Emmanuel “Manny Pacman” Dapidran Pacquiao — is the most popular Filipino in the world today whose historic defeat of Puerto Rican champion Miguel Cotto made him the first and only boxer so far to win seven world titles in seven different weight divisions and be known as the “BEST pound-for-pound Boxing Champion”.
- Nonito “the Filipino Flash” Donaire, Jr. — is the WBA interim world champion in the Super Flyweight category, whose humility is continues to inspire fellow Filipinos.
People of the Year — Mass Media
- Jessica Soho — is the GMA-7’s VP for news program and a multi-awarded broadcast journalist whose popular program “Reunions” has reunited so many missing persons with their families. She also host “Kapuso Mo, Jessica Soho
- Charo Santos-Concio — ABS-CBN’s President and host of the longest running drama-anthology entitled “Maalaala Mo Kaya”.
- Rico Hizon — is the only Filipino anchor for the British Broadcasting Corp. (BBC World News) whose website “GoodNewsPilipinas.com” has been spreading good news about Filipinos and the Philippines as a counterpoint to the negative publicity about the country and its people.
- Emil Jurado — is a Veteran Journalist, Lawyer and Manila Overseas Press Club chairman who is Best known for his column “To the Point,” at the Manila Standard Today. He used his pen to amuse, exasperate and deliver exposes from the time of President Elpidio Quirino up to the present.
- Fr. Bienvenido Nebres, S. J. — the President of the Ateneo de Manila University.
People of the Year — Public Service
- Agnes Devanadera — is the Secretary of Dept. of Justice who has shown her bravery in resolving a multitude of cases by not losing sight of the rules of evidence and laws.
People of the Year — Culture and Arts.
- Mita Rufino — Art Patron.
- Bernd Schneider — former General Manager, Sofitel Plaza Hotel.
- Inno Sotto — Fashion Designer, the “Prince of Fashion”.
- Zenaida Tantoco — President of Rustan’s Marketing Corporation.
- Kaye Tinga — Taguig City First Lady.
People Asia Magazine also handed out special awards to modern-day hero who surfaced during storm “Ondoy”:
- Judge Ralph Lee — the Quezon City Jetski Judge.
- Jericho Rosales — actor who risked his life to rescue flood victims.
- Gerald Anderson — also an actor who risked his life in rescuing flood victims.
- Muelmar Magallanes — who gave his life saving dozens during the flood.
Special awards were also given to the province of Camarines Sur, led by Gov. LRay Villafuerte as the “Top Destination of the Year;” Nivat Chantarachoti, general manager of Thai Airways; Agriculture Secretary Arthur Yap, whose programs have been helping uplift the lives of farmers; Spanish Ambassador Luis Arias Romero; Sarah Geronimo, who will be given special recognition for her achievements in the field of entertainment; and the Singapore Airlines A380, the “Oasis in the Sky.”